RE: compare result codes

-----Original Message-----
From: Kurt D. Zeilenga [mailto:Kurt@OpenLDAP.org]
Sent: Friday, June 23, 2000 6:18 PM
To: Kristianne Leclair
Cc: ietf-ldapext@netscape.com
Subject: RE: compare result codes

At 11:02 AM 6/21/00 -0400, Kristianne Leclair wrote:
>>> 1) undefinedAttributeType
>>> 2) inappropriateMatching
>>Agreed. Currently the rescodes doc doesn't have this listed as a possible
>>error for compare. This will have to be updated.

>It's X.511 that actually needs updating.... or we need to
>do something about that MUST X.511 in RFC 2251.
I see nothing in X.511 that prevents inappropriateMatching as a possible
result code for the compare operation -- this was simply an oversight on our
part.

The other two errors discussed below are, I believe, a different matter. If
there is a general consensus on the list that LDAP should return these
results under the circumstances described then we can add them to the
rescodes draft. If there is a suggestion to add something that differs from
X.511 though, it might be a good idea to raise a defect report against X.511
as well.

>>> 3) noSuchAttribute (syntax not relevant in this case)
>>> 4) noSuchAttribute