invalid Credentials v/s Inappropriate authentication

Hi,
	My query pertains to the resultcode being returned by ldap server during user authentication.
In which cases should the ldap server return invalid credentials and when does it return Inappropriate authentication.
For e.g If I create a user thru ldif w/o a password attribute, the password attribute of this user will be NULL. Now when I try to login as this user with a nonNULL password, should the server return invalid credentails or Inappropriate authentication.
Where do we draw the line between these two result codes.

Thanks & Regards,
Prasad