Re: WG Last Call: draft-ietf-ldapext-ldapv3-dupent-03.txt

Additionally, I believe it might be generally useful for
clients to be able to distinguished duplicated entries
from non-duplicated entries returned by a search with
this control.  I suggest that a control be returned
in each LDAPMessage which contains a duplicated entry.

In particular, this would be useful where the server was
able to return duplicate entries for a subset of the
requested entries and the control was marked non-critical.

For example, user requests duplicate entries for the
attribute description "givenName,sn".  The server
has disallows duplicating entries where multiple
listed attributed contain multiple values.  That is,
it will generate duplicates for a given entry
if only givenName has duplicates and only if sn
has duplicates, but not if both givenName and sn
have duplicates.  This would be avoid generating
NxM entries for the N values of givenname and
the M values of sn.

There are likely other cases where the control was
provided only to a subset of the entries returned.

Oh, and another implementation note, servers which
chain requests should avoid passing this control to
other servers by splitting chained results itself.