Unidentified subject!

Greetings,

In general, due to the wide variety of database engine implementations on
which different LDAP
directories are based, it is safe to say that 'your mileage may vary'.  As
everyone has indicated,
update performance is related to all the extra things a directory server
might do as a result
of the modify operation.  What these things are is dependent upon the
underlying database
implementation upon which the directory is based.

Thus, some existing implementations may offer fast update performance while
others may not.

> Hi,
>
> I am working on a problem where LDAP would be used to keep a directory
with
> user data.  One concern I have is that LDAP is supposed to be less
efficient
> when it comes to intense write operations.
>
> Can LDAP handle millions of users data in a directory where some of the
data
> (a few attributes) needs to be updated very frequently?  How would that
> affect performance and is LDAP effective when the searched data must be
> returned prompty with very little delay?
>
> If anyone has any comments on this, I would appreciate it,
>
> Martin Rahm

Regards,
Tim Hahn

Internet: hahnt@us.ibm.com
Internal: Timothy Hahn/Endicott/IBM@IBMUS or IBMUSM00(HAHNT)
phone: 607.752.6388     tie-line: 8/852.6388
fax: 607.752.3681