RE: Intense LDAP write operations

>> Hi,
>>
>> I am working on a problem where LDAP would be used to keep a
>directory with user data.  One concern I have is that LDAP is supposed to
>be less efficient when it comes to intense write operations.
>>
>> Can LDAP handle millions of users data in a directory where some of the
data
>> (a few attributes) needs to be updated very frequently?  How would that
>> affect performance and is LDAP effective when the searched data must be
>> returned promptly with very little delay?
>>
>> If anyone has any comments on this, I would appreciate it,

>I can't see any reason why there should be any inherent
>performance hit on writes in LDAP. The reason why most servers are slow on
>writes is that they update indexes for each write operation.
>
>	Cheers Leif

Leif et al,

Is that index update done also when the attribute of an object is only
changed or can that be by-passed when the data is only altered and no
changes are made to the structure of the directory?  If it is possible,
would by-passing the index update make the write operation faster?

mvh,

Martin