Re: SASL/EXTERNAL and CLDAP

At 12:38 PM 06/05/2000 -0700, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
At 11:31 AM 6/5/00 -0700, Bruce Greenblatt wrote:
>Why couldn't I write a draft titled "Using SASL/EXTERNAL mechanism in
>connectionless protocols"?

SASL/EXTERNAL is a part of SASL.  SASL is designed for use
by application protocols which use connection oriented transports.

Yes, I know that. RFC 2222 (which defines SASL) doesn't say that you can't use it inside of UDP as Mark Wahl suggested. It seems as if it would be straightforward to define the mechanism that would allow this to work in such a way that the SASL "pick(s) up the IPSEC credentials to the LDAP level". SASL (i.e. RFC 2222) doesn't prevent this, it just doesn't define how it works.

Bruce

Though one can base a new framework for application protocols
which use connectionless transports, any Standard Track specification
for such must be complete.  Defining a connectionless SASL/EXTERNAL
without connectionless SASL makes no sense to me.  Anyways, such
work would likely be out of scope of CLDAP and LDAPext WG.

CLDAP must provide a secure authentication mechanism designed
for use with the intended transport.   In lieu of a general
framework supporting connectionless transports, I suggest a
simple, yet secure authentication choice be added.  However,
there may be other choices, I would suggest we consult the
Security Area folks for a recommendation in this area.