Re: Error Code returned when Critical Extension fails

At 07:31 AM 6/5/00 -0700, Michael Armijo wrote:
>I wanted to get clarification from the WG on which error code
>should be used when an operation with a critical control fails
>due to an error within the control.
>A simple example would be a failed critical VLV control (let's say
>due to a missing Sort control).
>The most obvious answer would be unavailableCriticalExtension (12),
>but it is not explicitly defined for this condition on RFC 2251
>(or in the Result Codes draft).

Yiks.  Actually, RFC 2251 has a typo.
  s/unavailableCriticalExtension/unsupportedCriticialExtension/
or
  s/unsupportedCriticalExtension/unavailableCriticialExtension/

However, with either spelling, 12 should be used as indicated
in 4.1.12.

I would suggest the return a different resultCode (which
should be described by the control specification).   For
a invalid controlValue, I suggest protocolError.

Kurt