RE: InvalidAttributeSyntax(21) and Constraint violation(19)

At 11:22 AM 5/31/00 -0400, Kristianne Leclair wrote:
>Unfortunately, as Kurt points out, it is a little ambiguous whether a size
>violation here would result in an error of constraintViolation or
>invalidAttributeSyntax.

Err... I actually don't think it's all that ambiguous.  The
directoryString syntax as a minimum length requirement.  If
violated, it should cause invalidAttributeSyntax.  If an
attribute type is defined with a maximun size, then a
server may return constraintViolation.  I say may, not
should, as maximum in LDAP are just hints.

I offer a less confusing example to demonstrate the
difference meanings of these resultCodes:  If the directoryString
value provided contains octets which are form an invalid
UTF-8 encoding, an invalidAttributeTypeSyntax would be
an appropriate error to return.  If two syntaxically valid
values were provided but the attribute type was defined
as SINGLE-VALUE, then constraintViolation would be returned.