Re: InvalidAttributeSyntax(21) and Constraint violation(19)

At 05:36 AM 5/31/00 -0600, Vithalprasad Gaitonde wrote:
>Hi,
>	Could any one tell me when should the ldap server return an InvalidAttributeSyntax and when should it return constraint violation. What is the criteria which distinguishes these two errors.
>e.g. If I have title as an attibute for a user, and I try to do an ldapmodify with the value as NULL for title should I get a InvalidAttributeSyntax or a ConstraintViolation.

>From X.521:
  invalidAttributeSyntax - A purported attribute value, specified as an
  argument of the operation, does not conform to the attribute syntax of the
  attribute type.

  constraintViolation - An attribute value supplied in the argument of an
  operation does not conform to the constraints imposed by ITU-T Rec. X.501
  | ISO/IEC 9594-2 or by the attribute definition (e.g. the value exceeds
  the maximum size allowed).

So, you have to ask, is the empty value violate (or not) the attribute syntax
of the attribute type or does it violate (or not) some other constraint?