From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand [mailto:Harald@Alvestrand.no]
Sent: Friday, May 19, 2000 5:09 AM
To: Lloyd, Alan; ietf-ldapext@netscape.com; Kurt@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: History of X.500 (RE: gluing directories with
draft-ietf-ldapext-locate-02.txt)

At 18:56 17.05.2000 -0400, Lloyd, Alan wrote:
>It has taken about 5 years to get LDAP to where it is. It took 4 years to
>get the whole of the 1988 X.500 standards released.

don't forget that the 1988 X.500 did not include standard access control,
distributed operation, shadowing or replication.
It did not even include security apart from plaintext passwords.

In fact, it was touch and go to get modify operations included in the 1988
version; they were cut in the "Munich Massacre", but restored in the
next-to-final version.

I know you think that X.500 is better than LDAP.
But could you please try to stick to the facts when you talk about it?

                    Harald

Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no