RE: gluing directories with draft-ietf-ldapext-locate-02.txt

At 22:03 15.05.2000 -0400, Lloyd, Alan wrote:
Thanks for the response - but the SRV thing - well it still does not address
why directories are needed and the applications they serve - and the
information model designs that relate Users to Services....

one of the problems that have plagued both X.500 and LDAP is that this information model design was largely swept under the carpet.
If you ask "why do we need directories", the answer that everyone(?) agrees on seems to be "of COURSE we need directories".

the fact that intra-organization phone lookup and business-to-business cert retrieval (to pick 2 examples at random) are rather different operations don't stop us from agreeing that "the directory is the answer".

It is not strange that we've got problems.

                        Harald

Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no