Re: ldapACI: collection and attribute list

At 12:44 PM 3/16/00 -0600, Ellen Stokes wrote:
>(EJS)  I'll add back the list of attributes (e.g. attribute:
><attr>*).  However,
>collection is still a valuable ease of administration concept.  I understand
>that a new collection name that might only be known locally could be a
>concern, but implementation could code around it to say that if it's not
>understood, then it's not supported.  I'd like to retain this construct.  Any
>other opinions?

             The keyword "collection" indicates that the string that
             follows describes a group of attributes.  The method for
             grouping attributes is server specific.

So what if two servers hosting a cover naming context have two
very differnet means for grouping attributes?  Would not an
ACI replicated between two such servers which used a collection
understood by each, in its own way, cause the ACI to be evaluated
differently on each server?

This seems counter to "... one [an access control model] is needed
to ensure consistent secure access across heterogeneous LDAP
implementations." (p3)

How about you define a collection to be the set of attributes
allowed by an object class?   An object class, after all, is
defined (in part) as a collection of allowed attributes.

[I've been thinking of experimenting with exactly this in
OpenLDAP-devel... I'll try to find the time to implement it.]