RE: Changelog entries draft. Do not seem to find it.

Title: RE: Changelog entries draft. Do not seem to find it.

Changelogs seem to be falling between the cracks (LDAP, LDUP,
LCUP?).  The concept of changelogs is important to replication, but it also has many other uses.

Accountability (Who did what? When?)
Problem Tracking (Why is my email address X)
Recovery (Whoops, I didn't really want to rename everyone in my directory)
Client-side caching (Give me all the changes to a subtree)

If LDUP is going to subsume the role of maintaining changes for replication
purposes, then I think it is important to make sure that mechanisms are
in place to deal with these other uses as well.  Otherwise, I think
changelogs should become part of the LDAP standard, not just informational.

It doesn't really matter how the directory server maintains this information, but clients need to have a consistent way of accessing it.

James A Benedict
Advisor, IP Directory Systems Architecture
Preside Policy Services
NORTEL NETWORKS