RE: draft-mmeredith-rootdse-vendor-info-02.txt

It is very difficult and unclear at this point whether we should assume that all Internet Directory Client are in the position to talk different Internet protocols. Instead of assuming that the Directory Client will talk SNMP and query the MIB for getting the vendor specific information, why can't we state that the Directory Client queries the rootDSE for the information and the implementation would determine whether to go to the SNMP MIB for the information or to have the vendor specific information, requested by Mark, within the Directory Repository.

I think it will bring in more value to have the access to the information through the rootDSE but at the same time leave the invididual implementations to handle them. We all agree, based on the emails that I have seen flowing around related to this matter, that the information is useful so why not provide the flexibility.

Thanks
Sukanta Ganguly
sganguly@novell.com

At 09:13 AM 2/18/00 -0500, Peter Strong wrote:

>> To be blunt, I don't believe that there is much use for this draft.
>
>For those of us who attempt to build applications that work with
>multiple directory implementations, this information is very useful.

The information may be useful.  I never said that it wasn't.  I said that
it's already available someplace else.  Get it from there, since that is
already a standards track RFC.  I don't see much point in duplicating this
information.  In my opinion, a good internet directory client will get
information from a variety of internet servers: DNS, LDAP, SNMP, and others.