Question on Extensible Match Filter

I am working on LDAP v3 Search filters and cannot seem to get a return from
the DS servers (Netscape, Novell NDS and MS AD) that I am testing using the
Extensible Match string.  I am following the definition identified in
RFC2254 and those identified in Chapter 3 of "Understanding and Deploying
LDAP DS" (and the examples).  I have used both the assertion syntax and the
value syntax.

The results received are:

Bind operation successful.
ldap_search_s:  Protocol error
ldap_search_s:  additional info: Bad search filter

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Kristin McAuliffe
Center for Information Technology Standards
DISA
mcaulifk@ftm.disa.mil