Re: Search reference question

At 03:36 PM 2/7/00 -0500, smd@iris.com wrote:
>Section 4.5.3. of RFC 2251 states:
>     In order to complete the search, the client MUST issue a new search
>     operation for each SearchResultReference that is returned.
>
>Can someone help me with the interpretation.  Does this mean that if a
>client receives a SearchResultReference it MUST issue a new search
>operation to the referenced server? Or rather, if the client wishes to
>complete the search it MUST (really should) issue a new search operation?

The MUST does not require the operation to be completed nor state
when the client should attempt to complete the operation.  The
MUST says what the client MUST do to complete the operation.

The client may choose (or be required*) not to complete any operation.

* RFC 2251, Section 6.2.
   They [clients] MUST NOT repeatedly contact the same server for
   the same request with the same target entry name, scope and filter.

Note: the first sentence of 6.2:
   Clients which request referrals MUST ensure that they do not loop
   between servers.

should, IMO, be reworded in RFC 2251bis to:
   Clients which chase referrals and/or references MUST ensure that
   type do not loop between servers.