RE: draft-ietf-ldapext-locate-01.txt - Discovering LDAP Services with DNS

At 10:31 AM 1/19/00 -0800, James Benedict wrote:
> I would suggest an addendum to the draft that "recommends" that "Internet"
> directories arranged with a dc-tree provide some sort of LDAP service
> that can be resolved at some point by walking up the tree.  eg.

I disagree...

The algorithm should be simple and require no LDAP nor DNS
tree walking.

An DN of:
	cn=James Benedict, ou=sales, dc=us, dc=nortelnetworks, dc=com

is associated with the domain "us.nortelnetworks.com".  If SRV RRs
are not available at "_ldap._tcp.us.nortelnetworks.com", the
application should not attempt further SRV based discovery.

If walking were to be required (or even allowed) then we must
describe how far up the DNS tree a client should walk...  I
think it's a real bad idea to walk up to national SLD,
TLDs, or .

	Kurt