RE: draft-ietf-ldapext-locate-01.txt - Discovering LDAP Services with DNS

This all gets back to the forgotten history.  LDAP is an interface.  The
'back ends' vary from implementation to implementation.  To name a few,
there are Oracle, Exchange, Jet, Ingress, DB2, and many less known brands of
database engines as well as proprietary stores.  In fact, how about the old
QUIPU use of disk file systems.  The major change that happened quite a few
years ago was that Tim Howes and others added a mechanism to LDAP for a
locally defined data store rather than translate LDAP queries into DAP
protocol.

When the marketing people got involved (around the time of the Netscape
press release on 40 companies jumping on the LDAP bandwagon), suddenly LDAP
became all things for all people.  It should all come back to the question -
does the product support LDAP or does it not.  I used to pound on Novell
about calling NDS "X.500-like" - I used to always compare it to calling a
woman pregnant-like.  Either you are LDAP compliant or you are not.  It's
that simple!!!  Let's keep religion and the influence of marketing hype out
of this, if at all possible.

Let's avoid this native versus native-like comparison, please!!!

-- Alexis

Alexis Bor
Directory Works, Inc.
P.O. Box 470276