RE: draft-ietf-ldapext-locate-01.txt - Discovering LDAP Services with DNS

That's too long and bulky to say everywhere it currently says "native".

I don't see what's wrong with "native" -- it means that they aren't a front
end to X.500. Hence they can't use X.500 capabilities, and clients can
expect service that requires those capabilities. In some cases, that means
both clients and servers are out of luck -- clients have to apriori know the
DNS name of the server that stores a given DN, and a server that recieves a
request for a DN in an NC it doesn't store can't generate a referral.

However, if the DN starts with "DC=", then things can be better if they
follow the proposal in the draft: the client can get to a server, or a
server given a request for such a DN can generate a referral. All the server
has to do is get SRV records registered for the NCs it stores -- ones that
are resolvable by all the clients it cares to serve.

Paul