Re: I-D ACTION:draft-zeilenga-ldap-authpasswd-00.txt

At 04:59 PM 12/23/99 +0100, Ludovic Poitou wrote:
>> 3) For transition purposes (for those who have deployed with one-way
>> hashed userPassword values), it would be nice to use the same format
>> with the new authPassword, i.e., {SCHEME}HASHED-VALUED
>
>Yes. And it would be nice to use the same identifiers (SHA instead of SHA1).

If I were to use RFC 2307 syntax, I would have left identifiers alone.

However, since I introduced a new syntax, the authPassword
schemes names and RFC 2307 schemas do not directly relate.
My SHA1 schema is more like SSHA than SHA as it supports an optional
seed.

>Would it be possible to have the same password hashed with different schemes ?

Yes.

>If so, how to deal with passwords modifications and deletion
>should be clarified.

Like userPassword, authPassword is a user attribute and hence
has no special behavior (except that defined per schema) in
respect to interrogation and update operations.