LDAP C API -> Informational

Tim, Mark:

I ask that the working group consider progressing the LDAP C API
draft as Informational.

I do not believe that the current LDAP C API specification can
easily be amended to resolve the numerous technical issues
(error handling, referral handling, security) raised to the
authors privately or in the working group.  I believe significant
time (over a year) and energy will be required to produce an API
specification worthy of being progressed on the Standard Track.

However, the community needs a specification to unify under.
I believe that an Informational RFC can, as demonstrated by
RFC 1823, serve the community's immediate need for unification.
I believe the current draft could be published as Informational
without significant delay.

I would support formation of a new WG specifically chartered
to develop API specifications for LDAP such that LDAPext may
conclude as scheduled.

	Kurt