Re: LDAPURLs and Referrals (was: Draft Minutes)

At 07:48 AM 12/8/99 -0800, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
>At 11:55 PM 12/7/99 -0800, Howard Chu wrote:
>>In RFC2255 the trailing '/' *is* optional, but the difference between these
>>two cases still isn't spelled out.
>
>There is no difference.  Both:
>	ldap://server
>	ldap://server/

>specify invalid searches (a subtree search of a NULL DN is invalid)
>but are not invalid URLs.

The assertion that the above URLs represent an invalid search
is likely false and my conclusions may be incorrect.  (Both URLs
do, IMO, represent the exact same search).

A subtree search of a NULL DN is valid, it just shouldn't return
the contents of the Root DSE.
	RFC2251:  The root DSE MUST NOT be included if the client
       performs a subtree search starting from the root.

----
Kurt D. Zeilenga		<kurt@boolean.net>
Net Boolean Incorporated	<http://www.boolean.net/>