Re: LDAP URI scheme that specify alternative transport protocols

It seems to me that the pc thing to do is to have a root-DSE entry which
describes the various modes of transport supported by the server. I
assume that ldap must always be supported over tcp. It is then up to the
client to (as usual) learn the capabilities of the server using ldap/tcp
and then use whatever transport/SASL mech/extensions/whatever the client
understands and/or cares about. Why try to stick all of that in to URIs?

	Cheers

Leif Johansson				Phone: +46 8 164541
IT- and media services
Stockholm University 			email: leifj@it.su.se

<This space is left blank for quotational and disclamatory purposes.>