RE: LDAPDN and AuthMeth/DIGEST-MD5

At 07:19 PM 11/19/99 -0800, you wrote:
> [...]

I will reword in an attempt to clarify my position:

My position is that users should be able to authenticate securely
regardless of whether they provide a DN or non-DN identity to
the client.

>> I believe that the server, upon successful authentication, SHOULD
>> determine DN representing the user which is usable as the
>> creatorsname, modifiersname, ACL subjectDN, etc..  This DN may
>> or may not be the same DN provided by the client.
>
>I think this conflicts with 2251, which says that those attributes are
>optional.

I do not believe my suggestion mandates that an implementation
provide a mapping NOR use it.  However, I do believe that since
RFC2251 says implementations SHOULD provide creatorsname and
modifiersname that AuthMeth should, when introducing non LDAP DN
authorization identities, state that implementations are allowed
to provide and use such a mapping to fulfill RFC2251 SHOULDs.