RE: Policy in IETF APIs (was: Standards and APIs)

There would be NO CHANGE in the API. I proposed _implementation
requirements_ that are invisible to clients.

> To improve API security within the existing draft it wise to
> state that implementations should not perform operations (such
> as chasing referrals) without application interaction.

This does not improve security -- it sweeps the need for it under the rug.

> "MUST be configurable" is, in my opinion, better left
> to much higher level APIs.

What you are saying is that security is to be left to (non-existent) upper
layers. That means it won't be secure. All experience in this area supports
that contention. One of the most elementary security rules is that security
can not be left to applications.

Paul