RE: LDAPDN and AuthMeth/DIGEST-MD5

I put forth that AuthMeth should be returned to the
WG until such time that it details a mechanism to
securely (no clear text password exchange) authenticate
clients desiring to use traditional LDAP DN based
authorization identities over a insecure transport
protocol (ie: TCP).

I recommend that the new bind method (non-SASL) be
drafted which adapts the algorithm suggested DIGEST-MD5
to support LDAP DN authorization identities.

At 05:31 PM 11/18/99 -0800, Paul Leach (Exchange) wrote:
> [...]

I am attempting to make two independent points:

	1) AuthMeth, as defined, does not provide a secure
	bind method/mechanism for use with traditional DN based
	authorization identities.  It should.

	2) SASL does not care how the authorization identity is
	encapsulated within application protocol.  Encapulating
	the authorization identity ("kdz") in an AuthzId/uAuthzId
	("u: kdz") offers no benefit over encapsulating it in a
	DN ("uAuthzId=kdz").  However, the AuthMeth introduces a
	second on-the-wire representation and this will have a
	significant impact upon the LDAP information model.
	It should not.

>I'll repeat -- the AuthMeth draft improperly (IMO) mandates layering
>violations.

I concur.  I believe we should resolve these layering issues
as well.