Re: supportedControl and recognized controls

MIRCEA PANA wrote:

> 1. It may be good to include the "SHOULD" and "all" in the next
> revision of RFC2251/2252 it that is OK for everybody.

Agreed.  Any comments from the 2251 authors?

> 2. Because of backend restrictions, clients have to handle the
> unsupportedCriticalExtension any way. Then, why have supportedControls
> it in the root DSE? Are the root DSE supportedControls a way to tell
> clients "don't even think about it :=)" ?

I think so, yes.  One could imagine inventing a more sophisticated
scheme for advertising what controls can be used (e.g., on a per subtree
basis like is done for schema) -- but such a scheme would be complicated
and perhaps hard to specify.  The fact that some controls are only
supported in certain parts of the tree is likely to very
implementation/deployment specific.

--
Mark Smith
iPlanet Directory Architect / Sun-Netscape Alliance