Re: creatorsName/modifiersName referential integrity

At 16:17 05.11.99 -0700, Roger Harrison wrote:

I agree. There are lots of cases where an entry is referenced, and I think that changing the name of the entry should also include changing the references to it to maintain referential integrity. Without doing so, it seems to me that, at best, the dangling references left behind are not very useful since there's no way to correlate them to an existing entry, and at worst, dangling references may be dangerous since someone may inadvertently create an entry with the same name as the one just renamed which is actually misinformation and could create security holes.

In the depressingly common case where directories are "updated" by removing a subtree wholesale and rebuilding it from other data sources, starting to enforce referential integrity by instantly removing attributes of other entries would be an operational disaster.

Harald A

--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, Maxware, Norway
Harald.Alvestrand@maxware.no