Re: proposed standard for password syntax

The definition of a password is an octet string, however many systems have overloaded the syntax to add hashes as suggested in RFC 2307.  This proposal attempts to standardize this overloading only for backward compatibility and tries to define how we could use attribute descriptions to accomplish the same effect (once again suggested in RFC2307).

Pat Felsted
Novell, Inc.

>>> "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <Kurt@OpenLDAP.Org> 10/27/99 04:07PM >>>
Like it or not, userPassword is what it is.  Its syntax, encoding,
matching rules, etc. are well defined by RFC2256 and, I presume,
X.500 specifications.  As such, I believe that a proposal for a
replacement attribute type would be more appropriate.

Kurt

----
Kurt D. Zeilenga        <kurt@boolean.net>
Net Boolean Incorporated    <http://www.boolean.net/>