Re: grant / deny precedence indraft-ietf-ldapext-acl-model-04.txt

I agree there are two items and I agree with the proposed defaults.

>>> Mark Smith <mcs@netscape.com> 10/15/99 8:48:48 AM >>>
> "Miklos, Sue A." wrote:
>
> I agree that the model should have a consistent default condition.  I
> also prefer that the default be "deny" and that only after all rights
> necessary have been validated, should a "grant" condition occur.

To clarify, I think there are two different items for discussion:

a) Default access: in the absence of any access control rules, what
access is granted?  I think the answer should be "none" since this is
the safest default.

b) Precedence of grant and deny: when a "grant" and a "deny" clause both
apply, is access granted or denied?  I think access should be denied,
which is to say that "denies" win out over "grants."

--
Mark Smith
iPlanet Directory Architect / Sun-Netscape Alliance