Manage, Use, Set, Get rights in draft-ietf-ldapext-acl-model-04.txt

The document defines a set of rights that apply to the object to which the directory entry points ( Manage / Use / Get / Set ).  Your example shows how these could be applied to a printer.  However, they are very vague and I think vendors will want to have specific rights for objects such as printers or computers.  Using your printer example, people may want to separate the rights for starting/stopping queues and flushing queues.  Flushing a queue is a destructive operation.  Trying to lump operations together under these coarse groups will probably not work well and ldap server vendors will undoubtedly group the operations differently (Manage for vendor A may be start/stop queue and Manage for vendor B may be start/stop/flush).

I would suggest removing this set of rights from the document.  The acl model allows for other access control mechanisms and rights families to be defined.  I could see groups getting together to propose a standard set of printer rights or a standard set of computer rights, or a set of rights for executing specific controls within the directory.

David
<HTML>
<HEAD>

</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff
style="FONT: 10pt Arial; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px; MARGIN-TOP: 2px">
<DIV>The document defines a set of rights that apply to the object to which the
directory entry points ( Manage / Use / Get / Set ).&nbsp; Your example shows
how these could be applied to a printer.&nbsp; However, they are very vague and
I think vendors will want to have specific rights for objects such as printers
or computers.&nbsp; Using your printer example, people may want to separate the
rights for starting/stopping queues and flushing queues.&nbsp; Flushing a queue
is a destructive operation.&nbsp; Trying to lump operations together under these
coarse groups will probably not work well and ldap server vendors will
undoubtedly group the operations differently (Manage for vendor A may be
start/stop queue and Manage for vendor B may be start/stop/flush).&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I would suggest removing this set of rights from the document.&nbsp; The
acl model allows for other access control mechanisms and rights families to be
defined.&nbsp; I could see groups getting together to propose a standard set of
printer rights or a standard set of computer rights, or a set of rights for
executing specific controls within the directory.</DIV>
<DIV><BR>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff">David</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>