RE: Attribute names not Internationalized ?

1.  -- Is used in the ASN.1 to compile protocol handlers.  At the protocol
level it is irrelevant to an X.500 server.  It is working with strings such
as IA5String and Directory
string which all allow this construct.

2.  Old ASN standards were X.208 and X.209 (now superseeded by X.680 -
X.690).

3.  Agree, it was a bad idea to replace the OIDs (which are the data
dictionary that
    tracks back to attribute registrars) with North American strings.  Far
better to
    have OID -> String lookup tables in the client API itself.

    As LDAP is progressively getting heavier anyway, the original LDAPV2
concept of a light
    client, is now obselete.

Andrew Probert
Rotek Consulting