String representation of postalAddress

The RFC2252 representation shows values of this attribute being made up of a list of dstring which is defined as 1 or more utf8 char's.  X.520 says that it's a list of DirectoryStrings with an upper bound (no lower bound).  I'm confused about the lower bound requirement in the RFC. From X.520, it seems like I should be able to have a Postal Address like this: "line1$$line3$line4", but the RFC doesn't allow that.  Am I reading the definition in X.520 wrong?

Jim