Re: Multiple extended responses per request

Gil Kirkpatrick wrote:

> If the purpose is to provide progress information to the client, doesn't
> this scheme generate an inordinate amount of traffic, e.g. in your example
> of the tree delete, a packet per entry in the tree being deleted?

I wonder if this is a practical problem ?

Another idea I've heard
discussed which _could_ produce less traffic is to allow the
client to monitor the progress of long-running operations
like this via magic DIT entries. Somehow an entry would be
created for the operation (e.g. long search, long subtree
delete). That entry would have attribute values which tell
the client how much progress has been made by the server
in processing the operation. I'm not sure if this is a
terribly good idea or not. It's obviously quarter-baked.