Re: Sanity check - LDAP DSA Schema

Hi Ed,
             In the draft 'ldapPresentationAddress' represents the URL of the ldap server that the client is to contact to receive certain services. Now the ldapPresentationAddress attribute as per the draft is identicalto the 'ref' attribute which can be of the type "ldap://hostA/o=abc,c=us";(as per  [NAMEDREF]) . Thus a client seeking some ldap service might search for an ldapApplicationEntity  which has a supportedApplicationcontext resolving the clients needs and the client might then go on to find that the ldapPresentationAddress is of the type
           "ldap://hostA/o=abc,c=us";
          In this case is it the client that needs to parse the URI and extract the host discarding the contexts.
         Or do we modify the ldapPresentationAddress to mention that the address is of the type ldap://<hostname> explicitly saying that the ou=abc,c=us which might follow if the ldapPresentationAddress is identical to "ref" is not applicable.

           In any case if the ldapPresentationAddress is to represent the address of the server I think  it should differ from a "ref" by not including the  context  that a ref might contain.

Hope I've not confused you,
Natarajan

S.K.Natarajan
Senior Software Engineer
Novell Software, Bangalore
E-mail sknatarajan@novell.com
Ph. no. 91-80-572-1856/58 Extn. 2213
Fx 91-80-572-1870

>>> "Ed Reed" <ed_reed@novell.com> 09/01/99 07:28AM >>>
Attached is a short schema description of an LDAP directory service agent object class (ldapDSA), that makes use of labeledURI presentation addresses instead of OSI ones.  If there's no violent opposition, I expect to make the LDUP information model refer to these definitions (they're broken out here from the LDUP schema for the same reason we broke out the ldapSubEntry definition - 'cause they seem more generally useful than for just LDUP).

Ed

Ed Reed, Technologist
Novell Product Management
+1 801 222 3944 (new number!)