Re: Returning single values from multivalued attributes

David Boreham wrote:

> Also of interest in the context of this thread is
> Jim Sermersheim's duplicate entry control,
> which allows a client to
> ask for a multi-valued attribute to be returned
> as multiple _entries_ (each with the same DN and
> once single attribute). This is also usable with
> VLV, allowing a client to page or scroll through
> the values.
>
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ldapext-ldapv3-dupent-01.txt

  I think they're somewhat orthogonal in usefulness. The duplicate entry
control will help a lot with displaying the contents of static groups (when
combined with a VLV control) in a browsing way. The matchedValuesOnly control
will help when searching (the certificate example is a great one, but it would
also be helpful for e.g. showing only the members of a group that matched
search criteria).

Rob