Re: Returning single values from multivalued attributes

Hi David,

I'd like to work on an LDAP draft with you as I believe this is very
important. (Actually, I was planning to write a draft but I was a
bit discouraged by the lack of response to my message on 7/30). Please
let me know how you want to coordinate this.

I think that 2 drafts are probably needed, one describing a control for the
matchedValuesOnly feature and another for describing the X.509 certificate
and CRL matching rules as new LDAP matching rules.

Thanks,
--Sean

David Chadwick wrote:

> This topic has been briefly discussed on this list before (30 July),
> but no conclusions were reached. Briefly the situation is that X.500
> DAP allows a user to search an entry and only request that matched
> values are returned from a multi-valued attribute rather than all
> attributes. LDAP only allows all or no values to be returned.
>
> There has also been a request in the PKIX group that LDAP should
> allow a single user certificate to be returned (the one that matches
> the users filter), rather than all the users certificates.
>
> I believe that once clients start to retreive schema definitions they
> will also want matched values only to be returned.
>
> There are a couple of approaches this group can take
>
> i) say that this is not a significant problem and ignore it. Let the
> client sort out the value it wants
>
> ii) say that it is a significant problem and try to fix it via a new
> matchedValuesOnly control ID. (I can volunteer to write the ID if
> people are interested in it)
>
> What do people think about this?
>
> David

> David Chadwick
> IS Institute, University of Salford, Salford M5 4WT
> Tel +44 161 295 5351  Fax +44 161 745 8169
> Mobile +44 790 167 0359
> *NEW* Email D.W.Chadwick@salford.ac.uk *NEW*
> Home Page  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/chadwick.htm
> Understanding X.500  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/X500.htm
> X.500/LDAP Seminars http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/seminars.htm
> Entrust key validation string MLJ9-DU5T-HV8J

Sean Mullan			Email: sean.mullan@sun.com
Sun Microsystems Laboratories	Tel:   (781) 442-0926
One Network Drive		Fax:   (781) 442-1692
Burlington, MA 01803-0902