RE: Named Referrals Questions.

Well, what is missing from the LDAP perspective is that X.500 defined a
managed distributed object oriented information model for a directory
system and related to this object information model are protocols for
access, distribution and replication.

ie. X.500 and X.501 (the first parts) define the directory system and
its managed information model. Common Object Classes and Attributes for
this directory service are defined in X.520 and X.521.

For protocol access to this directory information, X.511 defined DAP,
X.518 defined DSP (chaining and distribution) and X.525 defined
replication (DISP).

If you read LDAP RFCs and ignore the noise re complexity, etc it is very
much based on DAP (X.511) and totally relies on the information model of
X.500 (and its management mechanism  eg subentries and op attrs, etc.)
ie one cannot just have an LDAP protocol without a basic X.500
information model and if one wants to evolve that to being a managed
object information model and deal with distribution and distributed
mutual authentication of users and access controls , it will naturally
get get very complex for those who consider DAP or LDAP  complex.

DAP or LDAP to a single server as a protocol is easy - just like a
telephone wire between a phone and a PABX. The next step is how big is
the telephone system and what service you want.

eg. For dealing with the reality of replicated ROOTs and how they get
engineered into product I can only suggest that all who have now reached
the end of the road with developing LDAP non distributed servers and
have to replicate everything to everywhere - revisit the root issues of
directories  (in X.500) and perhaps read a few of our white papers re
global backbones and multi master (opendirectory.com - white papers) and
our product specs to see how these root level distributed , fault
tolerant systems need to be engineered.

X.500 and X.511 is an abstract information model. Its implementation to
deal with root level issues, etc and redundancy at this level  is
product specific.

I hope this helps and regards alan