Re: Named Referrals Questions.

>   If a client requests an operation for which the base or target object is
> not held by the server,
>
>   1. Remove the leftmost attribute/value pair from the DN.
>   2. If the remaining DN is empty - stop and proceed with superior
> reference from the root DSE.
>   3. If the remaining DN represents a locally held object that contains a
> ref attribute - stop and process referral.
>   4. If the remaining DN represents a locally held object that does not
> contain a ref attribute - stop and return "no such object" result.

Not quite correct I think. Try this insertion:

4. If the remaining DN represents a glue DSE continue with step 1.

e.g. I request A,B,C,D and the server holds X,C,D as a cross
reference, C as a glue DSE and D as a glue or another cross
reference then I should be refered to either D or the superior
reference.

David

>   5. Continue with step 1.
>

> With such "general-purpose" references wonderful things are possible, for
> instance - a server which holds only references, sort of a "map" for a set
> of servers.
>
> Example configuration you described will also work, but note:
>
> > If a client performs a subtree search on server A starting at "o=UW
> > ,c=US", it will get all matching entries from A within that scope. The
> > client will also receive the referral to server B and perform a subtree
> > search there with a new base "univ=Madison,o=UW,c=US" and get the
> > appropriate entries.
>
> ... and, if everything is properly interconnected, among the results
> returned by server B will be a referral to server A with base
> "dept=cs,univ=Madison,o=UW,c=US". The client will then perform a subtree
> search there and get the entries which it already got in response to the
> original search.
>

> --
> Leonid Dubinsky                  Engineer
> All opinions are mine, not my employer's.

David Chadwick
IS Institute, University of Salford, Salford M5 4WT
Tel +44 161 295 5351  Fax +44 161 745 8169
Mobile +44 790 167 0359
*NEW* Email D.W.Chadwick@salford.ac.uk *NEW*
Home Page  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/chadwick.htm
Understanding X.500  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/X500.htm
X.500/LDAP Seminars http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/seminars.htm
Entrust key validation string MLJ9-DU5T-HV8J