Re: Issues with families of entries

Date forwarded: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 03:13:00 -0700 (PDT)
Date sent: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 03:32:57 -0700
From: rweltman@netscape.com (Rob Weltman)
To: ietf-ldapext@netscape.com
Subject: Issues with families of entries
Forwarded by: ietf-ldapext@netscape.com

> This is a note after a discussion at the ldapext session in Oslo.
>The default to return on searches involving members of a family >of entries.
> The proposed default is to return each member of the family as a >search result. That means that if there is a family representing a >user "cn=John Smith" with a number of child entries representing >various combinations of attributes of John Smith, the client will >receive one entry for each of them on a typical subtree search, >unless the client specifies the new FamilyReturn control and >requests "entry&subtree". I think this will break almost every >existing LDAP client. How about making the default be to merge a >family and return a single result?
>Rob
This clearly will not break any existing LDAP client, as LDAP clients are already used to receiving multiple entries when they perform a Search (if the LDAP client cannot handle more than one entry then it is already broken I think).
However I have done a reasonably full analysis of the defaults (see other message from me) and I await your comments on this. It seems to me that returning a complete compound entry probably has more problems than returning several single entries.

David

David Chadwick
IS Institute, University of Salford, Salford M5 4WT
Tel +44 161 295 5351  Fax +44 161 745 8169
Mobile +44 790 167 0359
*NEW* Email D.W.Chadwick@salford.ac.uk *NEW*
Home Page  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/chadwick.htm
Understanding X.500  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/X500.htm
X.500/LDAP Seminars http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/seminars.htm
Entrust key validation string MLJ9-DU5T-HV8J