Re: RFC2256: userPassword

One issue with using ldap_compare() as the method
of authentication (such as the case of an IMAP
server using LDAP to determine access to a mailbox)
is that the compare must do special "magic things"
when comparing passwords vs. just comparing random
attribute values.  In the Sun LDAP server (and others
probably) this is expressed by giving the password
attribute a special syntax ("protected").  I don't
believe the Netscape server allows this: you must
bind-as-user to auth as user, and it must be against
the userPassword attribute, and compares just do a straight
string compare.

I've often wondered if it wasn't desireable to be able
to authenticate for different services against different
attributes, but I'm not aware of any LDAP servers
which support this.

Robert