RE: RFC2256: userPassword

At 10:38 AM 6/29/99 -0700, Paul Leach wrote:
>Having world readable hashed passwords is almost as bad as having plaintext
>ones.

I never implied that such userPassword should be "world" readable.
I do believe access to userPassword, regardless of syntax, should
be restricted (by ACL).

However, I do believe storing cleartext passwords is evil and should
be avoided.
	1) ACLs are often poorly written
	2) replication may require copying of userPassword
	3) directories can be exported... now you have cleartext
	passwords your LDIF
	4) database files are likely not encrypted... I cringe
	at the thought of cleartext passwords being stored on
	network accessible filesystems, on disks, and on backups

Use of hashes, especially proven one-way salted digital
hashes, provided a great deal of protect over cleartext.
A cracker confronted with a hashed password is likely to
use other mechanisms (such as flaws in the server's host
operating system) to obtain illicit access.

I would recommend that hashed password syntax recommend use
of a salted MD5, SHA1, or equivalent strong (and proven)
one-way hash.

Kurt