Re: C API draft3: ber_tag_t and LBER_ERROR

"Kurt D. Zeilenga" wrote:

> The requirement should be LBER_ERROR be compatible (in type)
> with ber_tag_t and have an all bits one value.  The specification
> should be careful of avoid verbatim declaration requirements.
> The specification should allow compatible declarations to be
> substituted as needed to support the target environment.

Good summary.  I propose that we use the following text:

16.4.  Decoding

The following two macros are available to applications: LBER_ERROR and
LBER_DEFAULT.  Both of these macros must be #define'd as integer
constants that are both compatible with the ber_tag_t type and for which
all bits have the value one.  For example, in the typical environment
where 2's complement integers are used, these definitions would be
appropriate:

        #define LBER_ERROR   ((ber_tag_t)~0)
        #define LBER_DEFAULT ((ber_tag_t)~0)

--
Mark Smith
Directory Architect / Sun-Netscape Alliance