Re: ActiveDirectory schema

Jim Sermersheim wrote:

> >Is the concern about entries moving between
> >different vendors' servers ?
>
> I think that's one concern.  If servers are sharing information, and there is an expectation that standard object classes remain static, surprises happen when one server extends a standard object class.  On the other hand, if a server uses aux classes to extend the attributes available to entries, the other server will notice the extra class in the objectClass attribute and examine its schema definition in order to discover the additional attributes.
>
> Hmm, I probably just confused you even more.  Sorry.

Nope, that makes sense.

So the receiving server would observe that
an entry has some random unfamiliar objectclass.
It then consults the sending server's schama
definitions, observes that this is an aux
objectclass, so concludes that it's OK to
remove all the attributes pertaining to
that objectclass from the entry.

If this information were not available
to the receiving server, the best it
could do is either reject the entry
because it violates schema, or silently
remove the offending attributes.

Is that correct ?

Does anyone actually have a server implementation
which does this ?