Re: C API draft 3: LDAP_OPT_ERROR_STRING

There has been previous dialog on this...

[Kurt wrote]
> LDAP_OPT_ERROR_NUMBER
> I suggest that if the API allows writes, it only allow clearing
> of the ERROR_NUMBER, that is, setting it to LDAP_SUCCESS.

> LDAP_OPT_ERROR_STRING
> I suggest that if the API allows writes, it only allow clearing
> of the ERROR_STRING, that is, setting it to NULL.

[Mark Wahl wrote]
These restrictions could cause problems for modules for particular extensions
that are layered atop this API from registering error information that is
consistent to client applications.

[Kurt concurs]