RE: How do we recognize what directory we are talking to?

The next thing we need to do is then formailse OIDs for technology
capability and then get all clients and directory vendors to support the
interpretation of these re a Full capability statement... and then what
happens with upgrades, bug fixes, product features like being able to
support 16k * 128 mb attribute values.. and all the things that give
competitive edges.

Is what we need a standard that defines in a standard way - no standard
features?

This area is so full of knowledge, context and semantic variation,
market strategy  - its like representing a "car" with an OID when a car
has squillions of options re engines doors, interior,  sound system,
colour, etc ..

I think a Good Luck message is in order here... :-)

regards alan