Re: How do we recognize what directory we are talking to?

>     Is there any ongoing work for making the information regarding the
> directory server (like vendor name,  version etc etc) available to clients?

An Open Group working group has defined a set of functional profiles by which
clients can determine the capabilities of a directory server and its suitabilty
for particular applications.  The specs can be downloaded from
http://www.opengroup.org/orc/DOCS/LDAP_PR/  it is based on OID-valued attributes
of the root DSE.  The advantage of this system is that a client easily check
a question like,
 - is this server standards compliant for holding certificates/CRLs
rather than be hardcoded with particular product version numbers.

Mark Wahl, Directory Product Architect
Innosoft International, Inc.