RE: [Fwd: [ldap] LDAP Transactions]

I think the issue is that LDAP and X.500 assume the Object as the
atomicity point . And if the transaction concept in LDAP has to be
extended over distributed servers - that support (eg.) a Prune and Graft
capability, then atomicity and recource locking/release issues get quite
complex (if over multiple objects over multiple servers) . ISOs CCR
(Iso IEC  9804 and 9805)  provided such interchanges - perhaps these
documents could be reviewed and their service semantics reviewed in the
light of reading from one LDAP server and writing a subtree of entries
across 2 or more recipient servers. ie. with a singlr server -
transaction concepts are easy, but multiple - distributed servers its
more difficult. And if one is only focussing on one server - without
distribution capabilities, one might as well SQL type commit procedures.

regards alan