Re: [Fwd: [ldap] LDAP Transactions]

From Mark Wahl's notes on the 44th IETF LDAPEXT working group session:

> 2.3 Transactions
>
> Earlier in the life of the LDAPEXT working group there were discussions on the use transactions in
> LDAP. These are primarily intended not in the 'database' sense with the ASID properties, but just as a
> way of grouping DIT modification operations as a unit.
>
> There was a short discussion on the scope of the problem. There have not been many different
> deployments so far; Hitachi had implemented a specification but it did not use distributed transactions.
> Also, the plans in the LDUP working group for replication would increase availability of the directory
> information, but would not permit full transaction semantics to necessarily be provided, and might not
> allow synchronization guarantees to be maintained.
>
> Transactions are not on the LDAPEXT charter at present.

For the text of the document, you'll have to go to the ldapext
archive (it was never placed in the IETF draft repository as near
as I can tell):

ftp://ftp.innosoft.com/ietf-ldapext/archive.txt

It's a decent method for how to do, as Tim Howes carefully phrased
it, "groupings of LDAP operations."

It might be good to get it into the draft stream again; it just won't
be done under ldapext's charter, unless the charter changes (In
the very least it would need to go in with a different filename).

Tim Larson
Lucent Technologies