RE: Beginning taxonomy for finding LDAP servers.

But you dont need to do this with X.500 systems  - so why have this
approach.

Hypothetical situation ....

Dear Mr customer,  if you buy all these non distributed LDAP servers you
will also have to buy one or two more (for relibility) that point to the
ones you thought you wanted in the first place. In addition you will
need some "additional" resource to manage these servers... In addition
the comms pipes bewteen these servers will require more bandwidth
because of referred searches. Now as we have proposed a number of LDAP
servers because each department in your organisation wants to own its
information and determine its own access controls on that information,
because of the lack of capability in these LDAP servers means that we
now have to replicate all the user information of the system to/from and
between have EACH department with a server and that each and every
department   manages ALL the user portions of the directory information
- for the whole organisation and its customers.....

By the way - the more this system scales up  - the worse it will get -
operationally and in costs.

There is another way that avoids this mess and operational cost - use a
distributed X.500 directory system....

Which one would you buy?

regards alan